Thursday, December 23, 2010

#14 Lord of the Flies

Took two weeks off from the list but then made my way through this "classic". Maybe it was because I was spoiled by the Harry Potter series but I just did not like this book at all. I constantly found myself bored with it and drifting in and out of paying attention. There would be a time where I read a whole page but had no idea what it said but the funny thing was I wasn't lost in the whole story.

Now the book is about a group of boys that survived a crash landing on a small jungle island and it is a look at how mob mentality and anarchy can rise as children are left to fend for themselves. Most of the boys slowly become savage which leads to one kid talking to a boar head on a stick (This is The Lord of the Flies) and two kids being killed. Then the book just ends without any real conclusion except for a naval officer seeing it all as cute little kids playing. I don't know I didn't like it.

The writing just seemed to try too hard. There were times where I got lost in the detailed description of a rock or a tree that really didn't progress the story. Not until about chapter 10 of 12 did the story get going and we got away from the ridiculously difficult and complex descriptions. On top of that it seemed liked too many of the boys were alike so it was easy to confuse one for another.

Well this was one of those books that I had to read in high school and I want to go back and check them out. This book may have been the reason I haven't read much since then. Well anyways, on to the next one as Jay-Z says. Merry Christmas all.

NEXT UP:
#41 The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

No comments:

Post a Comment