Thursday, December 2, 2010

#10 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Well here we are. I finished. Seven books in 35 days. And they aren't small. I have been so immersed in Harry Potter over the last month that I just needed it to stop. But that said, I loved this series. It just sucks you in and even the slow parts made you want to press through because you needed to see what happened next. No matter how slow it got though, this final book made EVERYTHING worth it. Just a non stop page turner that does not disappoint.

This book didn't have Harry acting like a whiny little brat or making dumb childish moves. He has finally matured and realized what the wizarding world is and what he is meant to do and he is starting to just trust that Dumbledore knew what he was doing. A few books ago I complained about the formula getting a bit stale as they went through the school year and here it is, a whole book where they didn't even go to school. Even when Harry had no idea what or where he was going, I was still right there with him waiting with baited breath (I just googled 'bated breath' to see how it is spelled and ironically the website I clicked on quote J.K. Rowling with the Prisoner of Azkaban...wierd). ALong with all the adventures it was also worth some good laughs with the Weasley twins and Ron and Hermione making out during a huge battle.

Two things that I would have changed. I liked the point where we thought Dumbledore was trying to get Harry killed the whole time. It played well with the checkered past we learned about old Albus and would NOT have been seen at all. And I think if it had stayed that way the book still could have finished all the same way. But, that would have been just to shake things up obviously. The other was the epilogue. Didn't need it and it bothered me that the kids were all obvious and named after dead people. Would have preferred just a movie-style blurb on each character and what they did.

Well I am very happy I gave in to the craze and read these books. Cannot wait to see Part 1 this weekend and may have to see Part 2 at midnight this summer. Now I am going to take a break from the fantasy world and hit up a classic and may take a few days off before starting the next book but I am only a fifth of the way through with this crazy journey.

NEXT UP:
#14 Lord of the Flies by William Golding

No comments:

Post a Comment