Thursday, October 14, 2010

#1 The Great Gatsby

This is book was unanimously listed as a top ten book of all time. A perfect masterpiece if you go by the reviews on the back. And I have to say that I enjoyed it. Was it a good read? Yeah. Did it change my life? No.

It's been a long time since I read seriously so maybe this is as good as it gets. I will have a better idea in a few weeks.

The thing I kept thinking as I read the book is what genre does this fall under? It's not a mystery or a thriller or a drama. Do books even have genres like that? Anyways, it was just a nice twisted tale of hidden, long lost love and mistaken identities. It has a mysterious wealthy character (who is NOT a magician after all) who throws lavish parties just for the small chance his lost love stumbles in.

The main character Nick Carraway just sees to be an innocent soul who is okay with his struggle through life that just gets entangled in the problems of the wealthy. He ends up seeing and learning things he never thought he would and probably having one of the most unpredictable summers anybody has ever endured.

The book was good. It kept my attention and I kept having the little deja vu moments as I read that took me back to 9th grade as I skimmed through the pages hoping to buzz by some of the quiz questions.

Instantly made me happy I started this challenge. Good start.

Next on the List: 5 People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.

No comments:

Post a Comment