Monday, October 18, 2010

#42 The Five People You Meet in Heaven

I had to put this and Tuesdays with Morrie on the list. Mitch Albom is a Detroit treasure, need to support the hood. But I actually liked this book a whole lot more than I thought. It wasn't so much about religion and Heaven as it was about finding purpose and meaning in your life when it seems there is little. It was definitely a book I didn't like to put down and wanted to find time to read some more.

the story was about a guy named Eddie that has worked as the maintenance man at an amusement park on a boardwalk his whole life. During a freak accident, Eddie was killed and was sent to heaven where he discovers every person has five people from his or her life that they meet to learn five important lessons.

There were parts I found bothersome...in the middle I felt it dragged a bit when Eddie refused to understand what was going on. He was on his third of the five people and still seemed to have no clue what was going on. Seems to me that once your mind is blown with the first guy and he explains it that you just sit by and go along for the ride because it is all going to be hard to believe until it's done.But he was a stubborn old man when he died so why would he change in heaven.

What was really odd about reading this book is how much more I understood the final episode of LOST. I had difficulty wrapping my head around some of the themes and meanings of the end of that show but this book gave me some supplemental information that helped connect the dots.

Overall the book is definitely worth a read. It's not too long and reads really quick. It is written with a chopped up style that is entertaining and keeps you engaged.I'm excited to get to Tuesdays with Morrie since that is supposed to be Albom's best work. I'm starting to enjoy this challenge, who knew reading could be fun? Does Pizza Hut still have their reading for pizza program?

Next up on the list will be #12 The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger.

No comments:

Post a Comment