Thursday, October 14, 2010

And so it begins....

I was watching the HBO series 'Boardwalk Empire' last week and realized I loved the era. The 1920s seemed so interesting. That lead me to remember reading The Great Gatsby in 9th grade. I wanted to read it again. That lead to me thinking I need to read more. Which then lead me to the idea to make a list of 50 books and I will not stop until I have read them all. Sounds fun, doesn't it?

To compile the list I googled 'best books of all time', 'american classics', 'best books of the decade', books I must read'...things like that. I took some of the common answers between them and added books I wanted to read again (The Great Gatsby, Lord of the Flies), books I have always wanted to read (Catcher in the Rye, Catch-22) and books that are popular nowadays (Twilight, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo).

Did any of you have the Accelerated Reader program in your school? We did in elementary and middle school. You read books and then afterward took a quiz and you got points for how many you got right. The books were ranked by how difficult they were to read with the points. Most books were 8-10 points, Jane Eyre was like 65. Ahhh, 6th grade. THAT was the last time I read seriously.

So I figured with this blog I will read the book and then write what I thought about it. I have them in numbered order but won't read them that way but will probably read series' together. If you keep coming back and reading my posts, great! If not, I don't mind. I just think having something like this will help me focus on the book and stay committed to the list.

I don't promise being very thorough with my reviews because I'm just not smart enough to read into the themes and such...I will just post what I liked and what I didn't and maybe if I recommend it.

The next post will be the book list. If you have any books I should add or maybe one on the list that I should avoid....let me know. I won't get mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment