Tuesday, October 26, 2010

#12 The Catcher in the Rye

I really liked this book. This is one of those books that it seemed like I should have read in high school but I don't think I ever was assigned it. I could have been and just skipped over it but I really liked it.

It is all about the life of this kid, Holden Caulfield as he spends a few days in New York City after leaving his boarding school a few days before break and he didn't want his parents to find out so he spent his days wandering around town.

It was told as a narrative by Holden as he retells the story to us. Holden was a very odd kid that was really battling some demons it seemed like but was easily annoyed by people and also had some annoying tendencies himself. He was always repeating himself for emphasis and it seemed his favorite word was 'Chrissakes'. It got a bit tedious and bothersome but didn't take away from the book itself.

For a literary classic that it is regarded, the book had some good laughs. Holden is only 16 I believe but is able to drink at bars a few times and there is a scene where he is plastered and calls a girl he likes in the middle of the night (Who hasn't done that right? Didn't know drunk dialing dates back to the 50s.) and the conversation they have is pretty damn funny.

Overall it is a very good read that is entertaining as you follow the troubled teen as he finds his way through the big city but it all wraps up into a touching end that helps him realize what is really important in life. I would pu this as the best of the 3 books read so far.

For my next book, I break into the Harry Potter series as I want to get through all seven while the 7th movie is still in theaters.

NEXT UP: #4 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling

No comments:

Post a Comment