Wednesday, November 10, 2010

#7 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Well I will tell you I have never read 734 pages that fast in my life. A combination of how good the book was, the fact I had three days off of work and my determination to finish these books as quick as possible helped me finish it in 3 days. Yay for me.

Of the first four books I will put this one as my second favorite behind Prisoner of Azkaban. This one was really great because(as my friend Sarah Segerson would put it) it was really 'sporty' and they were 'so outdoorsy'. The Triwizard Tournament added a lot of new aspects to the boring formula I commented on in the last post. Hopefully the childish mischief is behind me and the books can really play with the structure.

Now there were two things that really bothered me about this great book. 1) Why are there two major characters in consecutive books named 'Moody'? First, it was the nickname of Professor Lupin, the werewolf, and now in this one 'Mad Eye' Moody. At first made me believe they were the same person or related...I don't know, just seemed odd. [SPOILER ALERT] And then 2) The ending was a bit too 'Scooby Doo' for me. They caught Church's son as he was diguised as Moody and essentially pulled his mask off and then recapped how he did it all. All I was waiting for was him to say, 'And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling kids and that blasted dog!'

That said, I loved the book and will be starting the fifth book as soon as I can tomorrow. And if you are reading this, you have probably read the books before so you know what is coming but I am really excited [SPOILER ALERT] for the rebirth of Lord Voldemort as I see this central storyline solidifying the next 3 books and will really allow for them to get more unpredictable and suspenseful. Well now I'm more than half way so here's to a strong finish that I am excited to get started.

NEXT UP:
#8 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

No comments:

Post a Comment