Wednesday, November 3, 2010

#5 Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Well this one sure doesn't disappoint. This second book (props given to Cali O'Rourke for letting me borrow the book) was just as engaging and hard to put down as the first. I seriously read it whenever I had a chance and when I wasn't I was thinking about getting back to it. I remember when these books came out, people were complaining because they thought their kids would get tainted by reading about "wizards" and 'magic". Hey, the kids were reading and having fun. Unfortunately that is overlooked sometimes in this country.

Anyways, this book welcomed back the same cast of characters plus some new ones like the annoying Gilderoy Lockhart, we got to know a bit more of Lucious Malfoy and Ron's little sister Ginny played a much bigger role. The story was another fun adventure of new spells and potions helping Harry and Co. stay out of trouble as they keep putting themselves in it. The final battle was more detailed than the first book which made it feel more complete.

The only things that bothered me was basically the first chapter where they had to basically keep recapping the first book for new readers. Why would anybody read the second book before the first book? I know they have to do the recap but let's just assume people read them in order. That and while the final battle was more complete, it seemed very convenient that the Phoenix showed up with the Sorting Hat when there wasn't ever really given a reason why it showed up or why he got a sword from the hat when we never once knew that ability was possible. Now I know it is all magic but it should have some back story to avoid just sounding lazy I guess.

Well, the book was still fantastic and anybody that really makes fun if this series or mocks its fans just haven't given it a chance. It may surprise them. Anyways, the 7th movie comes out in 16 days and I have five more books to read so I gotta get on them and they aren't getting any shorter. Hopefully I will have the next blog post up by the end of the week.

NEXT UP: #6 Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

No comments:

Post a Comment